Nobody knows my reputation.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Charity Cases

Even the less fortunate have standards.

Today I'm leaving work when I notice the "Angel Tree" charity sign posted next to the exit, so I stop to check it out. For those that are unfamiliar, the Angel Tree drive donates holiday toys and gifts to children whose parents are either less fortunate or imprisoned. There's usually a tree-shaped display adorned with gift tags, each bearing a child's name and their gift wish. You just select one of the tags, buy the requested gift, drop it off and pat yourself on the back for being such a charitable S.O.B.

(Okay, not quite that last part but you get my drift.)

I participated in the program last year through my church, so when I saw the signs today I figured I'd give it another go. I walk up to the display and start reading through the gift requests. They appear pretty normal at first -- items like "Barbie dolls," "CDs" and "video games" are up for bids. Then I look a little closer and realize that materialism knows no income level.

There were at least 4 requests for an iPod.
One girl wanted a DVD player.
Two requests for 10 speed bikes.
And someone's child is expecting, of all things, makeup??

Okay, well let's swing around and check out the boy's side:

A few more iPod requests made the cut.
We've got one boy for a PSP.
Another for a PS2.
Yet another bike.
And some other little dude is actually demanding a COMPUTER.

Lemme get this straight: you're less fortunate, you're the child of an inmate, you've had a hard life and for that you want an iPod?? How is that HELPING anybody? I mean, it's one thing to try and make a poor child's Christmas a little brighter. It's another to set them loose in Best Buy with a shopping cart and a credit card. This isn't charity -- it's extortion!



 


Advanced beyond all that you can possibly comprehend with 100% of your brain.










<< # Bitch Club ? >>